Saturday, April 5, 2008

Tale of Two Cream Pies: Part 1 (Butterscotch Cream Pie)

At home over break, my mom and I wanted to make a Butterscotch Cream Pie. I had just made a Coconut Cream Pie (more on this in a later post), but everyone still wanted a cream pie and we thought this would be a yummy alternative. Doesn't it sound delicious...buttery crust, creamy butterscotch pudding filling, and whipped cream on top?

In the heat of the moment, we ended up using the first recipe off of Google (http://southernfood.about.com/od/creampies/r/bl30109s.htm). My mom liked the end result well enough but I wasn't a huge fan of the flavor of the filling, which felt kind of harsh/bitter. This may have been the recipe or it may have been our failure to caramelize the sugar properly, or a combination of both. If anyone has a tried and true recipe for Butterscotch Cream Pie, I'd love to try again sometime!

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a recipe, but I usually can find great recipes on Allrecipes.com. You can sort them by ratings so you know which one is the best!

    ReplyDelete