Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Strawberry-Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

These strawberry-banana mini muffins are an excellent and fairly healthy breakfast treat.  I baked them in bouchon molds that my dad got me for Christmas (Thanks, Dad!), which I think makes the muffins look really cute and elegant!  They're around the same circumference as a mini-muffin, but about twice as tall.  We baked some of the batch in regular mini-muffin tins, which worked just as well if you don't happen to have the special molds. 

I love the combination of mashed bananas and strawberries here, as it's a little more special than regular banana cupcakes.  We came up with the idea because we ran out of bananas and my mom had some thawed frozen strawberries in the fridge.  You could probably use mashed fresh strawberries as well, although the thawed frozen ones are extra juicy.  Because these muffins are fairly low in fat, they don't keep quite as well as the sort of muffin with two sticks of butter.  :)  I'd suggest serving them warm from the oven, but they also reheat nicely in the toaster; I don't recommend serving them cold. 


Strawberry-Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins (adapted from Cooks.com, original recipe here)

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1-1/2 cups mashed fruit (2 medium bananas, mashed, plus enough frozen strawberries, thawed and mashed, to make 1-1/2 cups total)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a mini-muffin or bouchon pan with non-stick spray; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and chocolate chips.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly. Stir in brown sugar, oil, bananas, and strawberries. Blend well. Add the flour mixture and gently fold together until dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake about 15 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.  Leftovers should be heated in the toaster oven until warm before serving.


10 comments:

  1. Oh they look so cute! I've never seen those molds before but they look adorable. I like that with the healthy fruit you add a bit of naughty (which I always like :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. These certainly look good!! Banana, Choc and Strawberry - what could be better combinations?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous muffin! Chocolate and strawberries obviously are amazing together. And when you throw banana in it just adds to the awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate is my favorite and these chocolate and strawberry muffins look awesome and mouth-watering.

    I will show this recipe to my wife and request her to make it during this weekend.

    Oh, when will the weekend start :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious. I think I'll try it this weekend with flax seed substituting for the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the molds you used to bake these. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness..I stopped by to see if you made the Nanaimo Bars and instantly fell in love with these. They not only looks amazing with that high hat, but straweberry, banana and chocolate - yum! Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my little guy likes choc, strawberry and banana so the combination is going to make him love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are very good! I made two batches; In both batches I used a mixture of white, milk, and dark chocolate chips, and in only one batch using 1/4 tsp cinnamon. They turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete