Thursday, September 29, 2011

Curried Carrot and Pear Salad

My recent obsession with shredded carrot salads (see here and here) continues with this curried carrot and pear version.  The original involves long, thin strips of carrot, but shredding in the food processor is way quicker (if a little less attractive).  I'm particularly a fan of the dressing, which really just "pops" and is way more than a sum of its parts.  Do make sure to use a curry powder that you really love, as its flavor is the most prominent in the dressing.  Despite the inclusion of mayo in the dressing, it's not creamy - the small amount just helps the dressing "stick" to the carrots.     

Crunchy carrots combine well with sweet, perfectly ripe pears, and slivered almonds add even more crunch and great nutty flavor.  I could take or leave the parsley - next time I think I'd use flat leaf instead of curly, or maybe even chopped fennel fronds (come to think of it, some thinly shaved fennel bulb wouldn't be out of place here either).  Although I'd say this salad is best served the day it's prepared, it definitely holds up a few days in the fridge.  This is really one of my favorite things about this sort of salad - I can make a big batch at the beginning of the week to include in lunches and get my veggies all week long.  In this case, the pear will get brown, but the salad will still be tasty. 


Curried Carrot and Pear Salad (adapted from Honest Fare, original recipe here)
Serves 4

Dressing:
Juice of 1 Meyer Lemon
2 T olive oil
1 T honey
1-1/2 tsp mayonnaise
1/4 tsp curry powder (I used Penzeys' Maharajah Style Curry Powder)
Pinch cayenne
Pinch pimentón
Salt, to taste

Salad:
4 large carrots, peeled and shredded (a food processor is easiest)
1 pear, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/4 cup finely chopped curly parsley
1/4 cup slivered almonds

1. Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tightly fitting lid.  Screw on the lid and shake until well combined.  Pop in the fridge to chill while you make the salad.
2. Toss together the carrots, pear, parsley, and almonds.  Pour over most of the dressing and toss to combine, adding more dressing as needed.  Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.  Chill the salad until cold, and then serve.

5 comments:

  1. What a great combo. The two main ingredients have such unique sweetnesses that it sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. carrots n curry (with raisins) are one of my favorite things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I love the combo of carrots and pears - salads with fruit in them are some of my favorite. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. carrot and pear seem like a great combination, this looks promising. your salad looks great, nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always omit dressings in my salad, especially those creamy ones. Here people actually pile up lots of vegetables, and spoonfuls of thousand island, mayo and tartare sauce on top. Okay, that only happens in salad bar.

    But the curry powder with sweet and savory vegetables sounds great.

    Thank you for your comment and visit!

    ReplyDelete