Sunday, November 13, 2011

Chocolate Waffles

I bookmarked this recipe because it sounded too good to pass up, even though I don't have a waffle maker.   Luckily, I found out that one of my boyfriend's housemates has one, so I was able to make this recipe without shelling out for a waffle maker!  These waffles cook up crisp and tasty, but they aren't overly sweet or overly chocolate-y.  So, I recommend adding those elements in the toppings - a good sprinkling of chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate if you're feeling fancy) takes these waffles over the top!  (They'll melt slightly from the warmth of the waffles, without getting your waffle iron messy as might happen if you mixed the chips into the batter).  I like these with salted butter since I'm a sweet-salty fiend, but you can also use regular butter if you prefer.


Chocolate Waffles (adapted from Waffleizer, original recipe here)
Makes 6-8 medium waffles (depending on the size of your waffle maker)

2 large egg yolks
1-1/2 cups milk (low fat is fine)
1-1/4 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 T (1/2 stick) butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 large egg whites
2 T brown sugar
Chocolate chips and softened salted butter, to serve

1. Preheat your waffle maker.
2. Whisk together the yolks and the milk.  Whisk in the flour and the cocoa powder.  Whisk in the butter until smooth.
3. Beat the egg whites until foamy.  Add the sugar and beat until soft peaks form.  Gently fold into the cocoa batter.
4. Cook the waffles in the waffle iron.  Serve with chocolate chips and butter.

3 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! My family would love them too. (And I already own a waffle iron, so I have no excuses!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a sweet and salty fiend. That, and a chocoholic! These waffles are right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. D'oh! I don't have a waffle maker but these look so good that a purchase of one might be in order!

    ReplyDelete