Thursday, February 2, 2012

Cucumber-Habanero Salsa

Truly Mexican recommends this salsa for winter months when you want a fresh salsa but good tomatoes are nowhere to be found.  It serves that purpose perfectly - it's crunchy, spicy, and super flavorful, reminiscent of a super-spicy pico de gallo without the tomatoes. It also keeps very well in the fridge for a few days, so you don't need to eat it all in one sitting - the cukes and onions will stay crunchy and perfect for dipping.  We ate this salsa with chips, which is great for getting the full flavor of it, but I bet it would also be fantastic on tacos, especially fish tacos.

Important note: this salsa is definitely hot - if you're not such a fan of extra spicy food, you could reduce the amount of habanero or replace it with a milder pepper like a jalapeno. 


Cucumber-Habanero Salsa (from Truly Mexican)
Makes about 2 cups

12-ounce cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
2/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup diced seeded green bell pepper
1/3 cup finely diced red onion
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2-1/2 T freshly squeezed lime juice (more to taste)
1 T mild olive oil
1-1/2 tsp minced fresh habanero chile, including seeds (or less, to taste)
3/4 tsp fine salt or 1-1/2 tsp kosher salt (more to taste)
1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano, crumbled

Mix everything together and chill for one hour.  Taste and add more lime juice and salt if necessary.  Drain any excess liquid before serving.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my. The habenero sounds too spicy for me, but I wouldn't mind placing this as an option on Super Bowl Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really refreshing. I can take spice any day and know I will like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the habanero is a tad too spicy for me, but I'll switch it out for a serrano or two! Thanks for sharing this great post...I can't wait to make it! Never thought to use cucumber in a salsa before!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to make this for this weekend. My mouth is watering already, and I love the hot!

    ReplyDelete