Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cornbread Sugar Cookies with Honey Buttercream

If you're a fan of sweet cornbread like I am, you will love these cookies.  I selected the recipe because I (perhaps unwisely) splurged on a three-pack of Bob's Red Mill whole grain corn flour from Amazon, and then had to figure out how to use it up!  Despite the fact that I have quite a bit of corn flour leftover, these cookies were definitely a great use for it, and I'd recommend picking up at least a single bag of the flour if your grocery store carries it.  The cookies themselves are full of cornmeal flavor and not overly sweet.  They're topped with a fabulous honey buttercream that pairs perfectly with the cookies and has just the right notes of the honey and butter you might top your slice of cornbread with.  I could also see the buttercream pairing well with a spice cake or sandwiched between chocolate cookies - it has great flavor that would go well with lots of other desserts. 


Cornbread Sugar Cookies with Honey Buttercream (adapted from Cooking Classy, original recipe here)
Makes about 2 dozen

1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
1-1/4 cups whole grain corn flour (such as Bob's Red Mill)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup plain yogurt (non-fat is okay)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange juice
Honey Buttercream, recipe below

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Whisk together the flour, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg and egg yolk.  Beat in the sour cream, vanilla, and orange juice.  Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, and then beat until well incorporated.
4. Form dough into small balls, a little more than 1 tablespoon apiece.  Roll into even balls, and then flatten slightly with your fingers.  Bake 9-11 minutes in the preheated oven, being careful not to under-bake.  The cookies should be totally dry on top and slightly browned on the bottom.
5. Cool completely on a wire rack and then frost with honey buttercream.

Honey Buttercream
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 T honey
1 cup powdered sugar
Pinch salt

Beat everything together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

9 comments:

  1. Too too too too funny! You may recall on your yeasted cornbread post that I told you I'd been on the hunt for corn flour for another recipe and I'd try yours too when I located some? Well, this was the "other recipe!" LOL! I thought these sounded so unique and I really wanted to try them. Still haven't found any corn flour around these parts. Might have to get some online!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, too funny! This recipe is definitely worth hunting down the corn flour for! :) It's relatively inexpensive on Amazon, although you do get a TON of flour - I need to find even more recipes to make with it now! :)

      Delete
  2. I would have never thought to use corn flour in a cookie, but they look and sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, these sound amazing. Now all I need is some chocolate chili!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies do sound fantastic!
    I'm adding corn flour to my grocery list as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all things cornmeal and corn-full...so these sound like my kind of cookies! I'll definitely be making them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was trying to find a cookie recipe to send to my Uncle - I think this one wins! Thanks for sharing Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a unique recipe & I love the idea of honey buttercream!

    ReplyDelete