Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pesto-Scallion Mayo

I came up with this recipe somewhat by chance. I had recently been thinking about my all-time favorite slider spot in Berkeley, Slider Bar -- I was kind of obsessed with their pesto aioli.  I was making burgers, and realized that we had both pesto and mayo in the fridge, so I figured I would try making a cheater version at home (cheater because this is definitely not made with homemade mayonnaise or aioli, like I'm sure theirs is -- although, you could definitely go that route and I'm sure it would be even better!).  Then I noticed that we had some scallions about to go bad, and figured I would use them up as well.  The amounts listed below are very flexible -- you can go heavier or lighter on any of them based on taste and/or what you have on hand.  In any case, this recipe is insanely good.  We've had it on both regular cheeseburgers and turkey burgers, and it's also great as a dip for fries.  I kind of want to put it on everything now!


On the side: cantaloupe, oven fries, and roasted zucchini and peppers with Penzey's Tsardust Memories.

Pesto-Scallion Mayo
Makes enough for 4 burgers

Olive oil
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 T pesto

1. Heat a good glug of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  When the oil is hot, add the scallions and cool, stirring occasionally, until the scallions are a little charred in places.
2. Let the scallions cool slightly and scoop them out into a small bowl with a slotted spoon, draining off as much oil as possible.
3. Add the mayo and pesto to the scallions, and stir to combine.  Add more mayo or pesto as you like to get the consistency and taste you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment