Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

I am guilty of many breakfast sins...I eat way too many Pop Tarts and sugary breakfast cereals in the morning because my brain isn't quite awake enough to come up with anything more complicated.  That's why when I get my act together, I like to make a reasonably healthy breakfast food on the weekend for quick breakfasts before work.  These muffins are a great example of that -- they've got oats for fiber, and chocolate chips to make them feel special.  Bonus: they are super quick and easy.  If you're more together than me in the mornings, you could probably even make them on a weekday!  These muffins also keep well, so they're a good make-ahead...just reheat in the microwave for about 15 seconds to perk them up.


Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Muffins
(makes 1 dozen)

2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
4-5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped into chunks

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with papers.
2. Whisk together the flour, oats, and sugar in a medium bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, oil, egg, and vanilla.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and gently fold together until just combined. Add the chocolate, and fold into the batter, being careful not to overmix.
3. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.  Bake about 20 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. I love this...because I love oatmeal and chocolate! Toss it into a muffin is even better. The sour cream and milk has got to give them such a moist, soft texture. Yum!

    ReplyDelete