2 cups dry kidney beans
1-1/2 to 2 pounds boneless chicken pieces, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 medium onion, minced
1 bell pepper, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp dried thyme
2 T tomato paste
15-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To serve: sour cream, shredded cheese, minced herbs, or whatever else you like!
1. Soak the beans for several hours or overnight. Drain and rinse before using.
2. Heat the Instant Pot on "Saute". When hot, add a generous drizzle of olive oil and brown the chicken pieces on a couple of sides, working in batches if needed. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
3. Add more oil if needed, and add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute a few minutes until softened.
4. Add the cumin and saute for another 30 seconds.
5. Stir in the browned chicken and soaked beans, along with the thyme, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth.
6. Seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally, or quick release the pressure. Stir in the cumin, then taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes or so to thicken.
7. Ladle into bowls and serve with whatever toppings you like.